James Scott was born at Cressy, Tasmania on October, 4th 1858. He was the son of James and Ann Scott who came out from Fifeshire, Scotland to build a flourmill for Robert Hunter in 1850. James was educated at Leith on the North West Coast and in Launceston. On completing his scholastic duties he was apprenticed to
Jackson & Archibald, Engineers of Launceston, with whom he remained a year after his indentures were completed. He then moved to Sydney where he was employed for three years under the guidance of his uncle, William Scott, the Chief Locomotive Engineer on the New South Wales Government Railways. On returning to Tasmania he bought out his old employers Jackson & Archibald. He then carried on for five years before amalgamating with Salisbury Foundry Company which then became Salisbury Scott and Co. in 1888. He was married in 1885 to Miss Amelia Newey of Launceston and had a family of one son and two daughters.
Around 1892 James Scott left Salisbury Scott & Co. after a falling out with the management at the time and joined John Clark to establish an engineering firm with much success. Three years later he sold out his interest in the company to Mr. E Bogle. He then represented the engineering firm W.H. Knight at the Anchor Mine where he was in charge of completing the erection of two fifty-head batteries that he had been contracted to supply. Mr Scott joined the Anchor Mining Co. as engineer and was given charge of the Liberator and Cambria mines in June 1899.
By late 1906 James Scott had returned to Glasgow Engineering and resumed management of the business once again, Edwin Bogle had moved to Melbourne to live at Moonee Ponds and John Clark, who had left in 1902, was running a grocery shop on the corner of Forster St. and Invermay Road with his wife.
James Scott passed away on November 12th 1928 aged 70, the management of the company was taken over by Allen Morris, who came from South Australia and had been with the company since the building of the Victoria Bridge.
An excerpt from the Examiner Tuesday 13 November 1928:
LATE MR. JAMES SCOTT
A well-known personality in mining and engineering circles in Tasmania, Mr. James Scott, managing director of the Glasgow Engineering Co., Launceston, died suddenly at his home, 7 Cimitiere Street, last night. Born at Cressy in 1858, Mr. Scott was educated on the North-West Coast and in Launceston. He was apprenticed to Messrs. Jackson and Archibald, engineers, of Launceston, with whom he remained a year after his indentures terminated, He was then employed for three years on the New South Wales Government railways, and, returning to Tasmania, he bought his old employers out. Mr. Scott carried on for himself for five years, when he amalgamated with Salisbury's Foundry Co. Pty. Ltd. Three years later he sold out of the firm. He represented Mr. W. H. Knight, engineer, of Launceston, at the Anchor mine, where he was in charge, completing the erection of a 50-head battery which he had contracted to supply. Mr. Scott was given charge of the Liberator and Cambria mines in June, 1899. A few years later he became associated with the Glasgow Engineering Co and soon afterwards became manager. The late Mr. Scott was one of the oldest members of the Lodge of Hope, and held the rank of past deputy grand master of the grand lodge. He was also a past master of the Lodge of Hope, and P.P. Z. of St. Andrew's R.A. Chapter. Although he has not enjoyed the best of health for some time, Mr. Scott continued to take a keen interest in Masonic affairs, and was a regular attendant at Masonic functions up to a few weeks ago. Mr. Scott was also a member of the Chamber of Manufactures. The deceased married Miss Amelia Newey, eldest daughter of the late Mr. Richard Newey, of Launceston, in 1885. She survives him. There are two daughters and a son. The funeral takes Place to-morrow afternoon at 3 o'clock interment being made at Carr Villa.